Everything goes to Hell

Comments

• Man, I feel for you but what is done is done. Take it one day at a time. Try to fix a few things every week. Make a list for each room and just start with the little things. It may take a few months for you to get it ready for a move but you will get a chance to learn about the house.
  • Is it bad that my first reaction to this was "NOT THE TILE CUTTER!!!"

So the seller was alive? And was LIVING in the house? Craziness. How the hell was he insuring the place? You should've got his agent's name.

Today must've been an emotional rollercoaster. I hope tomorrow presents a more even keel.
  • Take heart, Lincoln. You are surrounded by an amazing community, and I plan to show up to ICHQ early for at least one day of home repair work. I helped flip a house (no expert, but I can follow directions and do a lot of basics), so I know I can help with this.
  • This was a difficult read. Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about your stress. Everything will be alright though.

This will be the house that Icrontic built. You know we've got your backs.
  • I cashed out my 401K a few years ago and took the hit. The economy crashed soon afterwards and I would have ended up losing that money anyways. Speaking from someone who's been through some tough times, owns barely more than the clothes on his back, an empty fridge, and doesn't know where his next paycheck is coming from, I can tell you with a smile on my face that it will be alright. I keep ending up back in this situation because I lose sight of what's important, then I have to struggle to make my dreams come true. It always works out. A few years from now we will both be looking back on our current situations with pride that we took a risk that was worth taking, and no matter the outcome, we would still do it all over again. Have more faith in yourself, brother, and remember that you have a community that is 100% behind you. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be there to help you get some of the work done, because in the end we will have all built something together that we can be proud of.
  • We are family man. No matter where we are in this world, we are here for you and everyone else at Icrontic. When I am there in April, I will stop by and do as much as I can. Everything will be okay.
  • Keebs! We are proud of you on this day! Congrats and I know I can;t wait to make the trip to Detroit top help in anyway I can. Lets just hope this house can contain a Gigantor.
  • Holy shitballs! That's an insane story. I know you're feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders right now, but like qch2002 said; one day at a time. Hell, one small project at a time. The upside is, when it's done, not only will you have a great house, but you'll feel like you can take on the world.
  • Matt, I completely agree with Q, take everything one day at a time and with the friends that you have, you should exhale a breath of relief. Icrontic has your back no matter what. I would love to lend a hand whatever you need when I have time off from school. I have done drywall, some plumbing, and I just happen to be an awesome painter and cleaning extraordinaire. I feel like this dream, will be come a full reality, it will just take some time <3
  • I can paint. And clean!

You are brave.
  • I've never bought a home, but I have been in some high stress situations. You wrote so well, so intensely and honestly.. I could relate. Took my breath away. You are an extraordinary writer Lincoln.
  • Matt that place is awsome. It WILL be alright brother, of this I know.
  • You will make it. You will survive. Icrontic is more than a building anyway.

It finished. Now it's time for the next phase.

When it comes time for renovations, I'll be there as often as time and family allow.
  • BONUS... I have a shit load of odds and ends from all my projects that I have accumulated over the years that may just be able to donate. Talking about tools meant for wood floors, which I don't have anymore.

Hey... how about this. Fire up Google Docs and make a separate list of things to do for each room. EVERY little thing you'd like done to the room. In one column, rank them by importance, then another column, rank by cost, and then a third column, list the estimated time needed to complete the task. That allows for you to add items, mark items off as you complete them, and if someone DOES stop by offering some time, you can just point them to the lists...
  • As DogSoldier said, "You are an extraordinary writer Lincoln."

This x100.
  • Thanks guys :) Means a lot to me.
  • Matt- You know I've never commented on anything that you've written on your websites, but this.....this moment in time is very special and I want to say it here, that I am so proud of you, my son (and I know your Dad feels exactly the same way). This article made me cry (surprise!), and my heart hurt for you because of course, I want your hopes and dreams to be fulfilled, and I wished I could have been there in person to support you through a very difficult process. This WILL work out. You have the intelligence and strong work ethic to make it work. Your Dad and I are with you for the long haul. We'll make some long weekend trips out there and do anything we can to help. You are so lucky to have this community of friends to stand behind you. We wish you lived closer to us, but it is easy to understand why you want to live in Detroit and hold that community together. Think positive! One day at a time....
    ~Mom
  • Matt - Take pride and solace in your courage. 99% of the people would have blinked but you stuck with your gut. I'm pulling for you.
  • It is always easier to give up on a dream than to make the sacrifices necessary to make it a reality. Congratulations on choosing a dream over a safety net. No matter what happens you will be rewarded for that decision. Just remember, one room at a time, one corner, one task. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
  • Icrontic. If you need an Architect at any point. Give us a call. We are in Midtown. Best of luck.

Joel and Liz
    D MET design
  • So this is more than a blog about starting out in a fallen down house (albeit a beautiful falling down house), in a falling down city (again, was a beautiful city)? This is a blog about a community of Icrontics? Whatever that may be, you all are very blessed to have such support.