Empathy

Comments

• Oy vey.. Good luck. It can only get better. And it actually will. A house with people in it is far less likely to get broken into as well. Porch light always on at night. Good locks on the doors. You'll be fine.
  • Yeah, in talking to the neighbors, nobody who lives there ever gets broken into. These crimes seem almost... pathetic in their minimal lack of effort. Like the spirit of malaise in Detroit is taking one last weak swipe at the new residents and energy that is invading.
  • The intruder sounds like a child - a teenager that sees opportunity. If u haven't ask for special attention on yr address at the precinct and talk to yr precincts community relations officer for more suggestions
  • At the risk of sounding really dumb here, why haven't you installed locks?
  • The locks had all been busted out. Installing locks was a lot more complicated than just "installing a lock". Broken wood on the door jambs, etc.

Tonight the back door was secured by a new deadbolt and a new mortise lock.
  • The intruder sounds like a child - a teenager that sees opportunity. If u haven't ask for special attention on yr address at the precinct and talk to yr precincts community relations officer for more suggestions
    Hi Sylvia,

I actually have been in contact with Wayne State Police, they've been out to the house a few times and I've made them aware that we're moving in and renovating the place. Tonight my neighbors told me that the police had come by to check on the place, so that's encouraging :)

• I've thankfully never had my house broken into, but I have had my truck broken into 2 times in the past few years. Both times they didn't take anything of extreme value, but it what pissed me off was I just felt violated, each time. It's the concept of it - some one else was in MY shit. Do not like.

Once you get power I bet that will help drastically. Go to HomeDepot and get 2-3 of the super bright motion activated security lights, which should fix the problem. Now if *that* doesn't stop them, then your intruder has some balls and you have a bigger problem ...
  • Maybe you've got ghosts?
  • Correction: The intruder did take things. Two containers of caulk & painting supplies were stolen. Probably $100 worth of equipment.
  • Double Correction: Somehow, for the last week and a half, none of us noticed what REALLY got taken: Our brand new dishwasher.

For real. They stole the dishwasher, and none of us noticed until yesterday. Empathy meter depleted by 90%.
  • Man, that sucks.
  • This is terrible news.....
  • That stinks, sorry for you folks up there.
  • I was going to say that your investigation sounds like a Sherlock Holmes story, but in reality, he probably would have noticed the missing dishwasher.