Jan - June, 2016:
* Front doors restored (both sets).
* Trim in vestibule & first floor turret restored.
* Cleaned & clear-coated original tile floor in vestibule.
* Stepping stones added to carriage house.
* New threshold and step poured a…
This should round out 2015:
* North & turret attic windows reinstalled.
* Identified carpentry work to be done in 2016 around attic windows.
* Finished reinstalling radiators.
* Finished painting carriage house doors.
* Cleaned the attic in…
The rest of summer 2015 thru yesterday (Sunday):
* Aaron milled new columns for the attic's north windows.
* Rennaisance restored the north facade & rebuilt the north attic windows.
* Andrea restored the office & turret windows.
* Andrea res…
The rest of May thru today:
* Refinished the front stairs (start to finish).
* Second & third coats on the back stairs.
* Cleared the great room.
* Hauled the radiators to the sandblasting shop.
* Added a "frame" to the floor around the fir…
Last 2 weeks have been a bit slower with the house torn up for floor sanding. Fast & furious work will resume the 30th.
* First floor hall, turret, office, pub, and backstairs were all sanded.
* First coat poly on backstairs, turret & hall.
This week & weekend:
* Reinstalled pocket door (uhhh... still needs work).
* Moved radiators out of the first half of the first floor.
* Pried off bead trim along bottom of the baseboard in most of first floor.
* Floor sanding started (40 gr…
* Removed stair treads (back stairs) from the second floor down to the basement landing.
* Tore up flooring on basement stair landing.
* Opened up the office exterior door.
* Continued painting ballisters on kitchen porch.
* Andy & Danny installed the final new carriage house doors & trim.
* Andy fixed the creaking front stairs.
* Fixed the broken plank on the front porch.
* Got all the carriage house doors keyed the same.
* Fixed the latch on Kyle…
Over the weekend:
* Patched & sanded exterior trim where a plant hanger got ripped off.
* Aaron finished priming the carriage house windows.
* Aaron second-coated the trim on the lower back of the house.
* Continued packing up the first floo…
* Got & approved an estimate for floor refinishing (entire first floor & both staircases).
* Reviewed spring house projects with Andy & Danny.
* Found replacement hardware for the office pocket door, ordered & received.
* Emailed a wood window restoration expert.
* Emailed Andy a project list.
* Contacted our electrician (he's out of town for a month).
* Ordered custom wood screen doors for both back doors.
* Disassembled the office doorway & pocket…
Year 4! Step it up!
So far in in April:
* Cleaned out the first floor of the carriage house.
* Installed pavers in front yard under the garbage & recycling cans.
* Bought 5 planters & decorative grass and put them in the alley.
Summer 2014 slowed down the pace, as expected:
* Andy built & installed new custom replica carriage house doors on the alley side, an entry door, a trap door on the second floor, and the two casement windows upstairs.
* Dave installed lights o…
April & May it was all about the carriage house and backyard:
* Dave installed new light fixtures on first floor of carriage house
* Dave wired the entire second floor of the carriage house (6 lights, 5 outlets)
* Dave installed a heater in t…
* Sanded, primed, and painted pub ceiling (high fives to Benson & Marie for helping)
* Dave put the porch light on a timer
* Benson painted the turret & kitchen ceilings (where we did patching)
* Contracted for carriage house facade r…
This winter we've been taking it nice and slow while weathering the severe cold and snow:
- Top of the front stairwell ceiling was painted by Joe
- Danny came and fixed the ceiling seam in the kitchen (water damage)
- Danny replaced a support missi…
Unfortunately, more insulation is a tricky proposition that involves drilling holes in walls or the facade which I'm not excited about. We do have a couple nasty drafts left to deal with, especially in the office & kitchen.
November's first 3 weeks have pressed onward:
- Facade restoration continued & finished (street-facing sides)
- Metal roof (shake shingle style) was installed on the carriage house
- Ryan hooded the attic windows & reinstalled basement storm window…
October was a huge month:
- Jackie scraped & drylocked the basement workshop walls
- Lincoln & Jackie masonry painted half the workshop
- Aaron continued working on the kitchen window
- Andy and co. fixed the carriage house roof & structure (!)
I bought premium sash cord and it arrived yesterday. I just glanced at the label before putting it with the window equipment - and it's nylon! I ordered cotton, which it must be so it doesn't stretch over time from the constant tension of the weigh…
This past weekend:
- Attended an all-day historic home restoration workshop
- Bought window repair supplies
- Cleaned out workspace in the carriage house
- Disassembled one of the kitchen's wood sash windows
- Removed glazing and paint from the fra…
- Dave finished rewiring the carriage house
- Dave installed a new porch outlet
- Dave swapped a few outlets and switches
- Continued reorganizing the attic
- Begun fixing up Perry's room (bit of an unfinished mess in there)
- Planted a tre…