Marche du Nain Rouge 2012

Comments

• How do I get notified of next years event. I saw people walking to it, but I had to get home to study for a test.
  • Fabulous! Thank you for the coverage and the pics!
  • How do I get notified of next years event. I saw people walking to it, but I had to get home to study for a test.
    I'd say just pay attention to Facebook, Twitter, and the website towards the beginning of spring next year ;)
  • Eric,

If you're following the Marche on FB and Twitter you'll know far in advance. But the secret is that it happens around the spring equinox so look for us then.
  • This sounds awesome. Hopefully I can make it next year.
  • Brian,

I would like to respond to your thoughts about kids/parents, namely:

".There were many kids and families in the parade and in the crowd, but if one were terribly conservative, they would probably find something to be offended by."

I did talk to a few parents who said that their younger children are particularly afraid of scary things and that the masks/costumes were overwhelming. I don't think this goes to conservative/progressive as much as it does kid's tolerance. Namely, kids and adults dress up for different reasons so the more details we can provide families about what happens at the Marche, the better.

Thanks for the great write up, all PR, especially the positive kind, is greatly appreciated!
  • I would like to respond to your thoughts about kids/parents
    This stemmed from the fact that I heard a few people mumbling about things like cross-dressers and some of the more sexualized costumes. The funny thing is, they weren't people with kids. The kind of parents who bring kids to these kinds of events are generally not at all hyper-conservative anyway. I loved seeing all the families there.

I guess what I was trying to get across is that if things like same-sex couples holding hands, cross-dressing, and people wearing skimpy clothing bothers you, you won't enjoy yourself at this event.

That said, I'm totally bringing my kids next year :D

• Another perspective on the marche (from last spring, shortly after the second one): http://critical-moment.org/2011/04/17/marche-du-nain-rouge-keep-on-truckin/
  • "Blame it on Le Nain?" *pisses self laughing*
    I got a few pics from my condo but nothing as great as yours. And my dogs didn't care for the parade too much, judging by all their barking. ; )
  • edited March 2012
    Another perspective on the marche (from last spring, shortly after the second one): http://critical-moment.org/2011/04/17/marche-du-nain-rouge-keep-on-truckin/
    I didn't find much value in that hypercritical, overwrought analysis. People seeing "racially-coded signals" in anything anyone tries to do in Detroit, that's part of the goddamn problem, not people doing something constructive and happy in the streets together every spring.
  • Spoken like a white man who just moved to Detroit ...
  • I just don't understand a response like that. I'd love it if you could enlighten me as to how, exactly, that's not the precise problem with race relations in Detroit. You're saying that, somehow, being white and moving to Detroit is a problem. Please explain that.

Is being black and moving to Detroit a problem? Is being black and moving out of Detroit an issue? What exactly do you want? What would make YOU happy, Rob?
  • It's the type of drive-by-commenting typical of the Detroit haters, @primesuspect. I'd give 50/50 odds as to whether this is a suburbanite who has an irrational hatred of Detroit or a Detroiter who has an irrational fear of people's motives for returning to the city.

In other news, the Marche du Nain Rouge is either Ignorant or Racist, according to some. Take that as you will.
  • This event has "Illuminati" written all over it. You should all be very careful. Next thing you know you'll be fighting with the rebellion trying to overthrow a dark lord. Don't worry Rob... I'll keep an eye on these Klan sympathizers. By the way, Rob.... How's that "Ass Hat" fitting these days?

• edited March 2012
    Spoken like a white man who just moved to Detroit ...
    Spoken like a racist Internet troll.

• . By the way, Rob.... How's that "Ass Hat" fitting these days?
    You crack(er) me up, Ocomik....