The Derp Record

G_QG_Q
edited September 2012 in The 1899 Sullivan House
This thread is devoted to the construction derps we've all done.

I might have dropped a $100 fan out of a second story window onto concrete. Waps.

Comments

• My derps are too numerous to count. Shaking a can of paint while the lid wasn't on, hitting the hot plane of the main breaker panel with the Comcast cable wire and melting the sheath, slicing my leg wide open on broken glass, I mean... I couldn't come up with an exhaustive list if I tried.
  • Losing a $35 drill bit inside of the walls somewhere was a good one too.
  • Dave once pulled out an electrical outlet that I actually wanted and had to re-run it.

A series of mini-derps caused water to come thru the brand new kitchen ceiling via the tub. :D

My derps are usually organizational or financial. Like, forgetting the order things needed to be done in, or buying the wrong thing / forgetting to buy the thing the next project required.

Our best derps were Brian smacking one of the 1-day-old $400 ceiling fans in the great room with a paint roller on a pole, followed 10 minutes later by me doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING to the other one.
  • Oh yes, I dropped a staple gun while insulating the side door in the office and put a little quarter-inch dent in the hardwood floor. That was painful to see.
  • Not as painful as me gleefully drilling up from the basement, only to discover I put a nice big 3/8" hole in the middle of the hallway hardwood floor...
  • We mis-measured the distancing between balusters on the front porch rails and used so many that we don't have enough to do any of the side porch rails now.
  • Drilling between floors, start from upstairs, drill the smallest hole against the baseboard and insert a wire, toothpick, cable tie, whatever. Go down stairs, find said think and measure over 1.5" to 2" and you should be about dead center of the wall. ;-)
  • We turned on the water main the first time - only to have water spray all over the basement :D Important to have all your pipes when you do that.
  • Lincoln said:

We turned on the water main the first time - only to have water spray all over the basement :D Important to have all your pipes when you do that.

I was present for that!