I got sucker punched, so I snapped right back. I got together a mess o’ gear, donned goggles & mask, and tore into that mold-infested space with a crowbar and a huge bucket of bleach water.
I took out two big bags of shattered drywall and found… nothing. Well sure, there was some white and yellow mold, and there was indeed a strip of black mold by the opening. But that strip quickly fell to my spray bottle, and its expected siblings were nowhere to be found. The darkness and stench had fooled us.
Suddenly, I had a manageable project again.
The kitchen is coming together and it looks FANTASTIC. I expect the final lights, outlets, and switches to go in tomorrow. The second coat of paint is on the great room ceiling, so it’s time for the fans to go in there too. Aaron is at the house beginning the construction of the kids’ loft beds. It’s time to buy paints for the office and plow ahead. The hallway is ready for our oil-based primer experiment to see if we can get it to bond with the plaster this time.
Our heating technicians came today and ripped out the old boiler system. They had to spray water to remove some of the asbestos, so between that at the bleach water and warmth down there it feels like a pool locker room. The dehumidifier is working overtime. The new high-efficiency boiler and water heater is on its way.
Bam. It’s full steam ahead at the Sullivan House once again.